A Kirby Kitchen Concoction - for our dining and dancing pleasure:
Italian Giardiniera Slow Roast / Stew
A tasty pot roast or stew with some Italian "zing"
• 3 to 4 pound beef; Arm, Rump or Chuck Roast whole or cubed as stew-meat)
• 20 oz / 2.5 cups Beef Broth
• 32 oz / 4 cups Italian Giardiniera (any preferred brand - hot or mild per personal preference)*
• 2 tbsp Olive Oil
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp black pepper
• 3 or 4 potatos (sliced or chunks)
• (Optional additional vegetables to personal taste - onion, carrots, bell pepper, celery, pimiento for color)
• Parsley flakes (dried), fresh sprigs or fresh chopped
Place meat into slow cooker or roasting pan. Add potatos / other vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add olive oil, giardiniera (veggies & liquid) and beef broth.
Simmer for 3-4 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Can be served immediately after cooked OR prep cook on day one, refrigerate (covered) overnight to allow flavors to "marry" more fully and then heat & serve on day two.
Serve meat and vegetables on plate as wet roast with liquid as "au jus" side OR serve in bowl as stew. Sprinkle with parsley for garnish.
*Base recipe is designed to use "store-bought" Giardiniera. If you prefer to use homemade, there is an excellent recipe for Giardiniera at http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hot-italian-giardiniera/. However, homemade giardiniera will have to be made in advance - it takes an extra few days for homemade giardiniera to cure before it can be used.